The Practical Course on Chinese Herb Recognition was completed on the 4th of October 2012. A total of 17 practitioners from the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine attended during the most busy holiday season in China.
“I really appreciated the breadth of the experience – seeing everything from field, to processing, to market and then final industrial scale processing and packaging. It’s a big missing piece in a college-based TCM education.”
Click to watch short clip #1!
“Great learning experience that is hands-on, making it easy to familiarize ourselves with the herbs. I appreciated the ability to compare the herbs and see the difference in quality from one supplier to another.”
Click to watch short clip #2!
The aim of this tour is to deepen your familiarity with Chinese herbal medicine. Many students of Chinese medicine learn the names of herbs and how these herbs work, but have not seen it before. Others might have seen the herb, but are not sure whether it is a root, stem, bark or how it has been processed.
“This is a great experience that i will never forget. The whole trip opened my eyes to the herbal manufacturing, selling and packing process. It is amazing how much effort goes into the whole herbal process from planting and harvesting to selling and packaging. Thank you for this one-in-a-lifetime experience!”
Many herbs arrive to our clinic pharmacy already cut or powdered and packed so we wouldn’t recognize the herb in its whole form. We would never distinguish a good quality herb from an inferior one, and certain will not recognize the herb if it is growing in our backyard!
The Practical Course on Chinese Herb Recognition will enrich your understanding of herbs:
- We will visit the biggest Chinese herb market in China and learn from first-hand experience (see, touch, smell) about herbs.
- We will visit a herb farm and see how farmer here in China live and how they manage their crops.
- We will go to a local factory to learn how herbs are processed here.
- We will learn how to differentiate herbs that look different. In fact, every participant will receive a booklet (usual price $50) for free
- The overall experience will aid all participants in understanding the possible origin of herbs in their countries, from planting in the farm to its sale in the markets to processing in the factory to its final packed form.
We hope that after this course, you will have a much better understanding of Chinese herbal medicine.
“Great trip! Seeing the herb rush was great and very educational. Markov was an excellent guide and very fun. This 4-day trip was highly educational and a wonderful time! i learned a ton!”