We just completed the 6th Practical Course on Chinese Herb Recognition with student-practitioners from the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine. We covered 20 hours of CEUs over the span of 4 days.
“I really appreciated the breadth of the experience – seeing everything from field, to processing, to market and then final industrial scale processing and packaging. It’s a big missing piece in a college-based TCM education.”
Click to watch short clip #1!
“Great learning experience that is hands-on, making it easy to familiarize ourselves with the herbs. I appreciated the ability to compare the herbs and see the difference in quality from one supplier to another.”
Click to watch short clip #2!
The aim of this tour is to deepen your familiarity with Chinese herbal medicine. Many students of Chinese medicine learn the names of herbs and how these herbs work, but have not seen it before. Others might have seen the herb, but are not sure whether it is a root, stem, bark or how it has been processed.
“This is a great experience that i will never forget. The whole trip opened my eyes to the herbal manufacturing, selling and packing process. It is amazing how much effort goes into the whole herbal process from planting and harvesting to selling and packaging. Thank you for this one-in-a-lifetime experience!”
Many herbs arrive to our clinic pharmacy already cut or powdered and packed so we wouldn’t recognize the herb in its whole form. We would never distinguish a good quality herb from an inferior one, and certain will not recognize the herb if it is growing in our backyard!
The Practical Course on Chinese Herb Recognition will enrich your understanding of herbs:
- We will visit the biggest Chinese herb market in China and learn from first-hand experience (see, touch, smell) about herbs.
- We will visit a herb farm and see how farmer here in China live and how they manage their crops.
- We will go to a local factory to learn how herbs are processed here.
- We will learn how to differentiate herbs that look different. In fact, every participant will receive a booklet (usual price $50) for compliments of our team.
- The overall experience will aid all participants in understanding the possible origin of herbs in their countries, from planting in the farm to its sale in the markets to processing in the factory to its final packed form.
We hope that after this course, you will have a much better understanding of Chinese herbal medicine.
“Great trip! Seeing the herb rush was great and very educational. Markov was an excellent guide and very fun. This 4-day trip was highly educational and a wonderful time! i learned a ton!”
“I don’t think I would have ENJOYED my Bozhou experience without MARKOV as our guide, and all his connections/friends. Really enjoyed & recommend this trip with Markov.”
“Markov did an excellent job organizing a smooth and fun trip. He attended to the needs of the group and each individual with care and grace. I had a wonderful time and I learned a lot!”
“Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I feel like this enriching experience has made me a better herbalist.”
“This experience was invaluable to deepening my understanding of herbs in China.”
“This is a wonderful way to learn about herbs from seed to patient! Markov is an excellent host and a natural bridge between people and places of all kinds!”